Thursday, April 30, 2009

Stupid People [Blog #2]

Isn't it creepy how well the feed knows what we want before we even want it? Coincidence much? Maybe, but not really. The feed has been implanted in people's brains for pretty much as long as they have lived, so the corporations have been able to learn about everyone's personality so they can wisely choose the products they want to advertise to the consumers in order for them to be more likely to buy them. Like Violet said, "...it's all streamlining our personalities so we're easier to sell to...you get ads based on what you're supposedly like. They try to figure out who you are, and to make you conform to one of their types for easy marketing." (p.80-81). That's basically what companies do today to advertise their products. The only difference is that we have no feed or some sort of technology stalker. I'm not entirely sure what marketing tactics people today use, but the aim of products are based off age, gender, interests, and etc. If I had the feed on me, fun electronics such as laptops and mp3 players would be advertised. I'd fall under the teenage girl group, so obviously I'd also get ads having to do with girly products such as clothing and shoes. However, that'd be extremely overwhelming. If I had the feed, I'd M-chat whenever it's necessary. For instance, I'd M-chat if I were far away from the person that I wanted to talk to. I find it really peculiar to M-chat with someone right next to you. Chatting using the feed would surely terminate modern day communication. We talk, type, write, read, and etc, but if we ALWAYS M-chatted, we would lose this type of communication. When Violet pulled out a pen and paper to write in order to show Titus the dead languages, he was seriously surprised. He said "You write? With a pen?" (p.65). Like oh wow...seriously? They rely so much on the feed to communicate with others, they don't even write anymore? This is also like when the teens were hacked and they found it really strange to talk to each other and they COULDN'T talk to each other...like...WTF?! Weird much? Yeah...

The phrase "We enter a time of calamity" (p.30) was constantly repeated when they Titus and his friends excluding Loga got hacked at the club. What does this mean? Well, ever since the feed was created and implanted into individuals, people have grown dependent on the feed. For example, they use the feed to look up words they don't understand on their feed. Sure, this is a good thing to have. Like, a dictionary right at your fingertips, but it just shows that they aren't very knowledgable. They are now a bunch of stupid people due to the feed. In addition, when they go to school, they just learn how to use their feed and nothing at all about the history of the world or anything we learn about in schools today. Basically, their futuristic world is coming to a end and has become disasterous due to all the stupid people in the world as a result of the feed.

One of the only other people in the book that do not depend on the feed so much aside from Violet is her father. Her father is a professor that teaches/studies the dead languages. He most likely wants to study the dead languages since he wants to preserve the language. People in Feed talk with a lot of slang -- a very simple language. On the other hand, Violet's father talks like this: "It is a fine pleasure to meet you and make your acquaintance" (p. 135-136). Oh my goodness, there actually ARE some intelligent people in Feed! He for one does not use words like "unit", "meg", and etc...like someone else's father...*AHEM* Titus's. Thank goodness for having someone to preserve the culture we have grown to love today.

No comments:

Post a Comment